Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cruz De Ferro

I carry stones today to the cross of iron. I begin at 7:30 to walk our of rabanal, one of my faviorate stops on the Camino and begin to assend. Purple, yellow and white flowers line the dirt walkway. Jess and I walk in silence, I´m listening to the music of Chant on my ipod. Mist appears sometimes so thick visability is down to less than half the length of St. Christopher´s nave. People appear out of the mist and disappear again. It takes 2 hours to rise the 350 meters. Mud occasionally obscures the path. We cross and recross a roadway. Occasionally we see a car in the distance. Powerlines hint at the cross but disappoint. then, suddenly out of the mist rising from a 15 foot pile of rocks and ext5ending 30 or more feet into the sky is Cruz De Ferro. People stand at the top of the rock pile and examine the wodden pole topped with a simple cross. Attached to the pole are many symbols of peoples grief. Photographs, childrens toys, cigarrette lighters, hankerchiefs. As I watch other items are added. A piece of slate with a name and words in spanish. A photo is taken. It is quiet here as people move about the cross.

I have been thinking theis morning of the rocks I carry. for Frances, my mom, for Lloyd my father in law. dorothy. fro those who added a stone to my pile. For pain and suffering, sadness. Hopes unrealized. for those we have loved and lost for those who have blessed our lives and taught us lessons. for those who brought us joy and helped us experience joy. for family pets and for all of the ways in which we have been blessed by life.

We walk away, occasionally looking back into the mist.

michael

No comments: