Saturday, May 10, 2008

mazarife

The day dawned gray, cold and wet. We packed our things in the hotel, had coffee and started out of Leon. It was a wet and cold walk some 9k to a small town where we again had coffee and a bit of a rest. Out of the twon we had to decide, do we walk an extra 4k to a town I had stayed in 7 years ago and hated or do we go the other way along the road. Our guidebook suggested the longer way. We decided to go the longer way and soon the rain stopped, it got a bit warmer and we were walking through beautiful countryside instead of along a big highway. It was lovely.

The refuge I stayed in last time was kind of scary 7 years ago, exposed wiring, bad beds on the floor, and an ugly courtyard. As we entered the twon there was a lovely looking alberge on the right but we wanted to see the one I had stayed in before... I was not looking forward to Jessica saying she wanted to stay in it becaude the cost was the cheapest of the 3 places in to town, ( I do love my creature comforts) We walked up to the place and what a difference 7 years makes. A beautiful front with much artwork lead to a clean and hospitable albergue with bunk beds, tow kitchens and internet! I told the people I had stayed there 7 years ago and they found my name in the record book!

Just goes to show you that you never know what to expect. Tomorrow we walk some 30k to Astorga, it is our longest walk of the journey so keep us in your prayers.

Blessings, Michael

No comments: