Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ponferrada

Jess and I just finished dinner in Ponferrada. It has been a good day. I was very close to the city from my walk last night so I took a very slow pace the 12k to the refugio. I was there by 10:30, spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon looking around the city, at the cathedral, at the restored castle... I also got food at the supermarket, (nothing like cub!) and eating a small meal at a local bar. (that really is where everyone eats!)

Life in Spain is very different from life in America. the shops open at 10ish and close by 2 to open again at 5ish. then dinner begins, yes, begins at about 9pm! that is the time I am going to sleep! The shops here are, by and large, very small. A shop may sell only fruit, or veggies! A few are like dollar stores in th states. wine is sold in many places and many people seem to drink it all the time. Vino Tinto! it is almost a national saying!

tomorrow jess and I will begin the last 9 days or so on the Camino. We have a day of walking on mostly flat road and then a day walking up a mountain to a very beautiful little community in the mountains. I look forward to this. Most of our days from here on out will be about 20k with a few longer ones as well.

I hope all is well for you as you read this. I look forward to sharing this experience with you when I return, and yes, staff, I look forward to returning and thank you for your work while I am away.

blessings to all.
Michael

No comments: