Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Palas Del Rei

We walked 26k today and the walk was good. The weather was nice, the countryside beautiful and walking with Jess was fun. A good day all in all.

One of the things about being a priest is that when people find out what you do for a living they tend to put you in a clergy box depending on their experience of clergy in the past and whatever other ideas they have about those who are clergy. So... I do not normally tell people what I do except when specifically asked. When I do let people know we often have good conversations about religion. Sometimes I surprise people because they do not think clergy are real people with real emotions and feelings. Someitmes I surprise them by holding ideas that they thought clergy would disagree with. All sorts of interesting things happen... like last night.

I pilgrim heard I was a priest and told me that he did not believe Jesus ever existed. I then asked him why he was walking the camino in that case. He likes to walk and he is spiritual, and he is still searching. I than asked him what difference it made to him assuming that Jesus did not exist. He was not sure. We talked more and it became clear that he had answers to all the standard questions he had been asked. Why was everything written about Jesus and the like. Of course I did not convince him of the truth of the gospels but we enjoyed the conversation and as many on the Camino say, ¨we are all on our own journey¨

I always enjoy these conversations and wonder whenthe next will come...

three days to Santiago, I hope all is well with all of you,

blessings,

michael

No comments: