Monday, May 19, 2008

portomarin

Walked about 22k today through great countryside with no rain and even a little sunshine. Jess and I walked together, had great conversations and stopped at several small eating establishments along the way. A great way to travel. We saw several old churches along the path, were pasted by several cows, sheep and goats and walked in several streambeds.

In town we got a small pension which is a small room with a bath and we will sleep well tonight, clean and quiet with a good bed. Before getting here we had not been able to wash clothes for several days and smelled like old pilgrim. Tonight we will say hello to friends we have met along the way and share some good food and stories of the road.

today I again knew that this walk is really about the walking. Everything we do is centered around the walk, we eat to fuel the body, we sleep to rest up, we manage our affairs and use our time mostly so that the walking can happen. I do love the walking, the land, the people the food, the time to reflect and to pray.

Whenever I see a pilgrim hurting I say a silent prayer for there ills and wish then well on the journey. My little contribution to the day,

blessings on your day,
Michael

1 comment:

ssteacher said...

Today was the last day of Sunday school for the year. During our last day session, we talked about your walk and your blog. We talked about why someone would want to go on such a walk. We also read four different excerpts from your blog. Then the children were invited to write you a message. It was suggested that they either comment about something in your blog or about something they did or learned in Sunday school this year. This is what we wrote:

I feel bad for you that your dog deid. Kevin

I now how you feel wen your dog die wen myfrands cat got hit bay a car it was so sad. Christian

If bad moments happen good will come. So if bad moments happen wait for the good. Josh

Dear Fr. Michael, I hope you have good weather for the rest of your trip and that you don’t get too many blisters. Hannah

Today, we went up to the altar and had comunyon from the inside of the altar. Then we had Sunday school. Next we had root bear floats and popcorn. Yum! Sincerely, Grace PS My dog died to, I know how you feel.

I liked going to the youth room this year. We had good snacks there. We also went to “Feed My Starving Children” and I saved people’s lives. Sometimes I talk to God and I thank God for the food. I also thank God for Star Wars. When I had trouble at school with Bobby I talked to God about it. Alex

Mostly people don't really pay a lot of attention to the small things in life. But really they're a big deal. For example, once in second grade I waved at a new kid and now he is one of my best friends. Have a good walk and pay attention to the small things that happen! You never know when you might gain a lifelong friend like I did! Sincerely, Sam

Dear Fr Michael, I liked it in Sunday school when we wrote a newspaper article about how to save the earth. There are a lot of things we can do to help the earth. Gwen

Dear Fr. Hanley,
We talked today (our last ss day) about your pilgrimage – someone wanted to know why you didn’t do it on a bike. :) Our class was interested in your journey and we all wish you well. Cindy, teacher

Dear Fr. Hanley,
I’ve loved following your journey on your blog. So many messages stand out to me—living in the present moment, the importance of gratitude. I especially loved the CS Lewis quote about approaching the start of each day without being caught up in the worry and pettiness of what we think seems important but really isn’t. You always teach us so much.
This has been an amazing year. These children are the lights of my life. I learn so much from them. Have a wonderful trip and we’ll look forward to seeing you when you come back. Ivana, teacher